I keep spending more and more time, as I grow older, thinking about the state of work, productivity, and “earning our keep” in our society today. I go back and forth on my problem du jour that I am certain is the root of all that drives us nuts in ever-greater numbers year by year. (http://www.salon.com/2013/07/31/living_in_america_will_drive_you_insane_literally_partner/) But our capitalist system, reducing us to profit providers, resources on a balance sheet, shackled to a system bent only on growth, profit, and productivity above all else… that one’s been on my shit list for a while.
So I started this manifesto the other day:
- Producing more, year after year, is not our purpose.
- It is okay to have downtime.
- We all need times of quiet reflection, meditation and contemplation: this shouldn’t be construed as laziness.
- We are not defined by our profit potential.
- We are not defined by the labor we can provide to industry.
- We are not defined by our earning potential.